Speaking at PIHRA
There are numerous benefits to speaking at PIHRA events, including exposure to a wide audience of Human Resources and business decision makers, and positioning yourself as an expert among your peers. PIHRA welcomes presentation proposals from professionals with expertise in Human Resources and those who are committed to advancing the HR profession who are willing to share best practices.
With more than 4,000 members, you'll be in great company as a PIHRA member who is also a speaker. Members who are also speakers will be listed in our speaker directory, which is only searchable by members. To access the searchable Speaker Directory, please click below.
Click here to search the Speaker Member Directory*
*Note: It is not required that you become a PIHRA member to speak at a PIHRA event. Membership is only required to appear in the directory.
If you are not currently a PIHRA member, you can join as a Speaker Member at an annual membership of $150. Benefits of being a Speaker Member include becoming searchable in our Member Directory as well as receiving all of the additional member benefits which can be found here. Please click here to join now.
If you are currently a member and would like to have your profile updated to be searchable in the Member Directory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Criteria & Guidelines
For all programs, speaker proposals are reviewed and selected by a committee of volunteer HR professionals according to the evaluation criteria below:
- Originality of content (new/original proposals are prioritized over previously selected ones for other PIHRA events/CA HR Conference)
- An engaging session title – you want people to show up to your session
- Current topic – demonstration of knowledge of current hot topics, trends and laws (as applicable)
- Well-defined focus, clearly listing a minimum of 3 key takeaways/learning objectives
- Practical ideas and application of material without the promotion or advertising of your company’s products/services – the audience wants to hear your expertise not a sales pitch
- Ability to deliver an innovative, impactful, and stimulating presentation
- Evaluations at prior speaking engagements (if applicable)
- Handouts are strongly suggested – we consistently receive requests for tangible and actionable takeaways in addition to the PowerPoint presentation. At the minimum, a PDF of your presentation is required. A great presentation includes worksheets/tips/tools for the audience.
- Power Point is the required format in 16:9 perspectives (widescreen)
- Less is more- keep your slides simple with impactful images, texts and charts
- Leverage multi-media sources such as video, polls, music, visual aids to get your point across and engage the audience
PIHRA accepts submissions from speakers for all of our programs (except monthly chapter meetings) between October and January. When the submission window is open, a link will appear here. Currently, the window is closed. If you would like to speak at one of the below programs, the submission process will begin in the first week of October 2018 and will continue through January 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to do I best engage the audience?
Tell great stories! People tend to remember stories that are personal and told well. Context is important (industry company size) but make sure it connects to the overall point you are trying to make. Too many irrelevant details detract from an impactful story. When appropriate, let the audience engage with you in Q&A. Encourage interactions between audience members with roundtable discussions or activities. Ensure you are clear on learning objectives stated at the beginning and summarize before you close out the session.
What format should I use for my presentation?
Microsoft Power Point is the required presentation software used by all PIHRA programs and files should be in .ppt or .pptx. Be sure your deck is set to 16:9 perspective (widescreen).
How do I obtain HR recertification credit for my session?
Obtaining HRCI and SHRM recertification credit is the responsibility of PIHRA. However, for us to submit your session to obtain the recertification credit, it needs to be an educational session of interest and applicability for HR professionals. It should provide educational professional development and contain a minimum of 3 key learning objectives/audience takeaways, which would make the program eligible for general credit.
Get Notified About Future Opportunities