Top 20 Labor Law Questions to the State of California EDD Employer Advisory Hotline
Each month the hotline averages over 100 calls which Bruce has been answering for over 5 years. Bruce will review the most common questions and the answers. See if you know the right answers.
Here are some samples:
- What do I do with a deceased employee’s last paycheck?
- What action must I take if a vendor is harassing my Receptionist?
- I have an employee who was arrested and has not been to work for a week. What are my options?
- An employee wants to eat lunch at her desk, is that OK?
- Is it legal for our payroll system to automatically deduct 30 minutes for lunch?
- If a non-exempt employee works over 8 hours this week, can he work less hours next week to avoid overtime?
- May we extend our probationary period?
- Our policy requires that employees work the day before and the day after a holiday to be paid for the holiday. If an exempt employee is sick the day before, may we refuse to pay for the holiday?
- An employee has resigned with two weeks notice. Can we fire the employee immediately?
- Can I require employees to adhere to a dress code?
- Must I pay an employee for being available to answer a cell phone when clients call after hours?
- If we fire an employee when she first arrives at work, do we have to pay any time for that day?
7:45am - 8:15am - Registration
8:15am - 8:30am - Announcements
8:30am - 8:40am - Breakfast sponsor
8:40am - 9:40am - Speaker
9:40am - 10:00am - Questions and wrap up
Bruce Matlock, JD
Governmental agency representation on EEO, Wage and Hour, Unemployment, NLRB, Worker’s Compensation; labor contract negotiations and arbitration; compliance with government regulations; investigation and resolution of harassment and wrongful termination charges; investigation and representation on legal claims filed by private attorneys. Training on a wide variety of human resource issues including preventive labor relations, avoidance of harassment charges, discipline and termination of employees.
Professional experience includes: Vice President of Human Resources for Princess Cruises; Director of Labor Relations for the Price Company, operator of Price Clubs; Director of Labor Relations for Bergen Brunswig Corporation. Arbitrator with the Better Business Bureau. Legislative Chair and “Hotline” Consultant for the California Employer Advisory Council.
Teaching experience includes: Eighteen years as Adjunct Professor for School of Business, University of Redlands. Subjects include graduate and undergraduate courses in Business Law; Human Resource Management; Organizational Behavior and Labor Relations.
Education: BA, Public Administration, San Diego State University. JD, Southwestern University School of Law
This program has been approved for 1.0 Professional Development Credits (PDCs), towards SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP, through the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
This program has been approved for 1.0 California-specific recertification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute homepage at www.hrci.org.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
Woodhaven Country Club
41-555 Woodhaven Dr East
Palm Desert, CA 92211
|PIHRA Member In-Transition
|PIHRA Student Member
Please RSVP at least 2 days in advance so we don't run out of food and chairs.
You can RSVP via our website by clicking on one of the green buttons in the upper right hand column, if you want to pay online with a credit card.
If you are paying at the door via check or cash, please email your RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online registration closes on Tuesday, July 19, 2016. Registrations after this date will only be taken onsite.
Please let us know in 2 days in advance so we won’t be charged. To cancel, please email us at PIHRA18@gmail.com.
Registration and attendance at, or participation in, PIHRA programs and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to our use and distribution (both now and in the future) of the attendee's image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions and audiotapes of such programs and activities.