There are many benefits in being a PIHRA speaker, including gaining exposure to a wide audience of HR and business decision makers as well as having an opportunity to highlight your expertise and position yourself as an expert among your peers. PIHRA welcomes presentation abstracts from professionals with expertise in Human Resources and those who are committed to advancing the HR profession and willing to share best practices. Abstracts must clearly list key takeaways attendees will receive by attending presentations and must avoid promotion and advertising of products and services.
Requested Topics (download this document for information on topics requested by our members).
PIHRA holds many annual events with multiple speaking opportunities. The Call for Abstracts schedule runs as follows:
Legal Update - January
- Submissions for the 2015 conference will be accepted in the last week of September 2014/first week of October 2014.
- Decisions are emailed to proposed speakers by late October.
- Only proposals from attorneys will be accepted. Preference will be given to local practitioners.
- Proposals must be about specific law updates (not general, or an overview of all laws updated) to be considered.
Mid-Year Legal Updates - June
- Call for abstracts opens the first week of March prior to the event.
- Decisions are emailed to proposed speakers by end of March.
California HR Conference - August
- Formerly known as the PIHRA Annual Conference
- The 2014 call for abstracts will open in mid-January 2014 and more information can be found on the Speakers section of the California HR Conference site (after 1/1/2014).
- If you are interested in submitting an abstract for future Conferences, please ensure we have your correct email and contact information by emailing Program Manager Paulette Fontanez.
- To see what topics and content was covered at the last conference, please see the 2013 California HR Conference website.
Monthly Events - Webinar
- We are currently seeking speakers to conduct webinars one Friday a month. Please contact Program Manager Paulette Fontanez for more information and available dates.
If you are interested in speaking at the local level, we have 16 locations which hold monthly events. To speak at these events, please find the location of your interest, and contact the chairperson.
Review & Selection
Abstracts are reviewed and selected by a committee of volunteer professionals according to specific evaluation criteria.
Review criteria include:
- Originality of material
- Overall quality of content
- Well-defined focus
- Practical application of material
- Evaluations at previous PIHRA or other events (if applicable)
- Ability to deliver an innovative, effective and stimulating presentation
- Submit only NEW material and do not preview it with any other PIHRA audience PRIOR to the event (feel free to do so after the event). We receive a lot of feedback from members who pay to go to our annual events, only to find we are offering the same presentation they have already paid to see at a District meeting. Submissions that were previously presented to a PIHRA District will not be reviewed.
- We have a strong preference for single speaker presentations. Co-presentations or panels are strongly discouraged.
- Target your proposal and your final presentation to an audience of the most intelligent, most experienced and most sophisticated senior Human Resources professionals.
- Plan to include with your final presentation, either as a handout or as the final slide in your deck, a Suggested Reading List for those who would like to take a deeper dive into the topic and materials you have presented.
Our Mutual Commitment
We expect presenters:
- To work closely with conference organizers before the conference and meet all deadlines;
- To make no substantial changes in content, format, audio/visual needs, room set-up, identity or number of presenters without prior approval of conference organizers.
- To design and provide high-quality PowerPoint presentations, in electronic format, by the deadline given
- To recognize that a conference presentation is an opportunity to share information and is not a showcase for promotion of business, practice, service or product
- To respect PIHRA as the sponsoring organization with either positive or neutral comments from the platform
- To be available for press interviews. (Please try to accommodate press for interviews and quotes. Please remember that members of the press may be attending your session.)
- To acknowledge they are available to speak during any timeframe of the conference and as such will not request a change to the session time frame assigned if selected.
In return, PIHRA will:
- Provide you with your evaluation scores after the conference.
- Provide a complimentary registration for the conference, including admission to the exposition, educational programs and social events.
- Grant you valuable professional exposure.
In accordance with the specified dates, we invite you to submit a proposal to share your experience and expertise with your colleagues in human resource management. Others will benefit from your experience while you make a valuable contribution to the profession's field of knowledge.
PIHRA has a tradition of using educational conference sessions as a platform for innovation in the field of human resource management. We look for contributors who are willing to share their expertise without expectation of payment in the spirit of networking, a purpose for which the Association was founded.
PIHRA Money-Back Guarantee
In 2012 we introduced, as a value proposition that differentiates PIHRA from other conference providers, that we now offer a money-back guarantee to any attendee who feels that a program failed to live up to expectations. We’re confident that both PIHRA and its cadre of outstanding presenters are up to this challenge and that everyone will incorporate the four concepts listed above into the planning, development and delivery of presentations.
Interested in speaking? For additional information or to be added to PIHRA's speaker database, please contact PIHRA's Program Manager, Paulette Fontanez.